What are Phytonutrients?
The acai berry contains phytonutrients, antioxidants as well as many other healthy nutrients.
Below is the definition of phytonutrients as well as a list of foods high in phytonutrient. Phytonutrients are
sometimes referred to as phytochemicals.
What are phytonutrients?
Similar to phytosterols, phyto means plant in Greek. Phytonutrients are organic components of plants.
Phytonutrients are good for health but they are not essential for your body.
List of foods high in phytonutrients
Below is a list of foods that are high in phytonutrients.
- fruits (especially the acai berry)
There are many classes of phytonutrients. One of the most common phytonutrients is carotenoids
found in red, orange, yellow fruits and vegetables. Foods that are high in carotenoids provide protection against
certain cancer, heart disease and macular degeneration resulting from aging.
Foods that are high in carotenoids:
- leafy green and yellow vegetables (eg broccoli, sweet potato, pumpkin, carrots)
- citrus, peaches, apricots
- leafy greens such as kale, spinach, turnip greens
- tomato products, pink grapefruit, watermelon, guava
- green vegetables, eggs, citrus